Dengue Virus Net is the web resource for anyone interested in dengue. Dengue is a mosquito-borne infection that causes a severe flu-like illness (dengue fever), and sometimes a potentially lethal complication called dengue haemorrhagic fever. Global incidence of dengue has grown dramatically in recent decades. About two fifths of the world's population are now at risk. Dengue is found in tropical and sub-tropical climates worldwide, mostly in urban and semi-urban areas. Dengue is transmitted to humans by the Aedes aegypti or more rarely the Aedes albopictus mosquito, which feed during the day. Dengue haemorrhagic fever is a leading cause of serious illness and death among children in some Asian countries. A vaccine for dengue fever has been approved by the FDA in May 2019 and is commercially available in a number of countries.
The objectives of Dengue Virus Net are to be the public and professional information resource for dengue and to serve as a network in the exchange of information and news related to dengue.
- Vietnam: Dengue cases up 33% in Ho Chi Minh City - Outbreak News Today - Outbreak News Today
Sat, 21 May 2022 20:02 GMT
- Dengue fever: the urgent hunt for antivirals and vaccines - Clinical Trials Arena
Fri, 20 May 2022 08:45 GMT
- Singapore closes in on 10,000 dengue cases - Outbreak News Today - Outbreak News Today
Fri, 20 May 2022 03:33 GMT
- Singapore reports more than 6,400 dengue cases in first four months of 2022 - Outbreak News Today - Outbreak News Today
Tue, 03 May 2022 07:00 GMT
- Health execs recorded 11 dengue cases in Ligao City - newsinfo.inquirer.net
Tue, 24 May 2022 12:38 GMT
- Dengue bigger menace than monkeypox in Malaysia, says doctors' group - Malay Mail
Tue, 24 May 2022 07:46 GMT
- Dengue fever kills 36 across Myanmar in 2021 - The Star Online
Tue, 24 May 2022 12:13 GMT
- 12 more dengue patients hospitalised in Dhaka - newagebd.net
Tue, 24 May 2022 12:08 GMT
- ‘Dengue hartal’ to be observed in Ernakulam on Wednesday - The Hindu
Tue, 24 May 2022 13:48 GMT
- Dengue virus, measles, TBI and TB disease: Are they being overlooked because of the pandemic? - Contemporary Pediatrics
Thu, 05 May 2022 07:00 GMT
- Meet the people who volunteer to get everything from dysentery to dengue fever for vaccine research in Baltimore - Capital Gazette
Tue, 24 May 2022 09:02 GMT
- Assessing the role of multiple mechanisms increasing the age of dengue cases in Thailand | Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences - pnas.org
Fri, 13 May 2022 05:04 GMT
- Can you catch dengue twice? Doctors say ‘yes’ | Lifestyle Health | English Manorama - Onmanorama
Fri, 20 May 2022 04:57 GMT
- Ponda sees 4 dengue cases, PMC swings into action - Times of India
Mon, 23 May 2022 22:59 GMT
- Dengue: BJP takes a dig at SMC - The Statesman
Tue, 24 May 2022 12:31 GMT
- PRO/AH/EDR> Invasive mosquito - France (03): (BT)
Mon, 06 Sep 2021 21:28:53 -0400
Yellow Fever, Zika virus, Dengue, Chikungunya -- France
A potentially deadly mosquito that can carry viruses such as yellow fever and Zika has been spotted in Brittany, northern France, sparking fears they may soon land on British shores. Asian tiger mosquitoes [_Aedes albopictus_] have been confirmed to be in the commune of Domagne in the department of Ile-et-Vilaine in western Brittany.
Health authorities are preparing an intensive campaign to rid the area of the insects with strong insecticides.
The creatures were 1st seen in France in the
- Dengue Vaccines: An Update Tue, 24 May 2022 06:00:00 -0400
Dengue is one of the most prevalent mosquito-borne diseases in the world, affecting an estimated 390 million people each year, according to models. For the last two decades, efforts to develop safe and effective vaccines to prevent dengue virus (DENV) infections have faced several challenges, mostly related to the complexity of conducting long-term studies to evaluate vaccine efficacy and safety to rule out the risk of vaccine-induced DHS/DSS, particularly in children. At least seven DENV...
- Retrospective Genomic Characterization of a 2017 Dengue Virus Outbreak, Burkina Faso Tue, 24 May 2022 06:00:00 -0400
Knowledge of contemporary genetic composition of dengue virus (DENV) in Africa is lacking. By using next-generation sequencing of samples from the 2017 DENV outbreak in Burkina Faso, we isolated 29 DENV genomes (5 serotype 1, 16 serotype 2 [DENV-2], and 8 serotype 3). Phylogenetic analysis demonstrated the endemic nature of DENV-2 in Burkina Faso. We noted discordant diagnostic results, probably related to genetic divergence between these genomes and the Trioplex PCR. Forward and reverse1...
- Effects of Acute Dengue Infection on Sperm and Virus Clearance in Body Fluids of Men Tue, 24 May 2022 06:00:00 -0400
We investigated the effects of dengue virus (DENV) on semen using samples collected 7, 15, 30, 60, and 90 days after symptom onset from 10 infected volunteers on Réunion Island. We assessed characteristics of semen and reproductive hormones and isolated motile spermatozoa from semen. We assayed semen for DENV using reverse transcription PCR and searched for DENV RNA by virus isolation in Vero E6 cell cultures. Four volunteers had >1 DENV RNA-positive semen samples; 2 volunteers had DENV...
- Temephos, an organophosphate larvicide for residential use: a review of its toxicity Tue, 24 May 2022 06:00:00 -0400
Temephos (O,O,O',O'-tetramethyl O,O'-thiodi-p-phenylene bis(phosphorothioate)) is a larvicide belonging to the family of organophosphate pesticides used for the control of different vectors of diseases, such as dengue, Zika, chikungunya, and dracunculiasis. The aim of this review was to discuss the available published information about temephos toxicokinetics and toxicity in mammals. Temephos is quickly absorbed in the gastrointestinal tract, distributed to all organs, and then it accumulates...
- Dengue virus NS1 protein conveys pro-inflammatory signals by docking onto high-density lipoproteins Tue, 24 May 2022 06:00:00 -0400
The dengue virus nonstructural protein 1 (NS1) is a secreted virulence factor that modulates complement, activates immune cells and alters endothelial barriers. The molecular basis of these events remains incompletely understood. Here we describe a functional high affinity complex formed between NS1 and human high-density lipoproteins (HDL). Collapse of the soluble NS1 hexamer upon binding to the lipoprotein particle leads to the anchoring of amphipathic NS1 dimeric subunits into the HDL outer...
- Environmental factors influence the local establishment of Wolbachia in Aedes aegypti mosquitoes in two small communities in central Vietnam Tue, 24 May 2022 06:00:00 -0400
Background: The wMel strain of Wolbachia has been successfully introduced into Aedes aegypti mosquitoes and subsequently shown to reduce transmission of dengue and other pathogens, under both laboratory and field conditions. Here we describe the entomological outcomes of wMel Wolbachia mosquito releases in two small communities in Nha Trang City in central Vietnam. Methods: The wMel strain of Wolbachia was backcrossed into local Aedes aegypti genotype and mosquito releases were undertaken by...
- A dengue-like outbreak of unknown aetiology in Pakistan Mon, 23 May 2022 06:00:00 -0400
There were recent reports of a mysterious virus spreading in Pakistan causing dengue-like illness with hundreds of cases admitted to hospitals over the winter. The mysterious virus was touted as a new variant of the dengue virus by the local health experts in Pakistan as most patients were tested negative for the dengue virus test despite presenting with dengue-like symptoms. In this letter, we have critically appraised the current situation in Pakistan in an attempt to explain the science and...
- Performance Evaluation of a Dengue IgG Rapid Diagnostic Test Designed to Determine Dengue Serostatus as Part of Prevaccination Screening Mon, 23 May 2022 06:00:00 -0400
The World Health Organization has recommended prevaccination screening for prior dengue infection as the preferred approach prior to vaccination with the dengue vaccine CYD-TDV. These screening tests need to be highly specific and sensitive, and deliverable at the point-of-care. We evaluate here the sensitivity and specificity of the newly developed OnSite Dengue IgG rapid diagnostic test (RDT). A retrospective double-blind study of the sensitivity and specificity of the OnSite Dengue IgG RDT...
- Trojan mosquitoes control dengue Mon, 23 May 2022 06:00:00 -0400
Dengue virus is transmitted by Aedes aegypti mosquitoes and causes the disease known as dengue. In a trial published in The New England Journal of Medicine, Utarini and colleagues report that release of wolbachia-infected A. aegypti populations in a dengue endemic area reduces the number of symptomatic cases and of hospitalisations.
- Promising Role of Emodin as Therapeutics to Against Viral Infections Mon, 23 May 2022 06:00:00 -0400
Emodin is an anthraquinone derivative that is widely present in natural plants and has a wide spectrum of pharmacological effects, such as antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-fibrotic and anticancer and so on. Through reviewing studies on antiviral effect of emodin in the past decades, we found that emodin exhibits ability of inhibiting the infection and replication of more than 10 viruses in vitro and in vivo, including herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) and type 2 (HSV-2), human...